Thursday, July 24, 2014

Help!


How many times have you experienced getting into panic mode when you're thrown into something you're
less familiar (worse, no clue at all!) with? or left to figure out something what to do as you're only given the orientation but not the how-to's? or the how-do-i-do-this syndrome? and yet you just go ahead and do it (well, sometimes you don't nail it but, yeah.. you did it anyway.).

Most people who know me usually say am a go-getter (since birth!). That go-getting appetite had me almost fell off a ship in transit when I was about seven because I was curious how it felt to be on top of a six-foot high pile of pipes (pipes roll down and a small body goes with it. duh.).  In high school, surrounded by an audience in total silence that you could hear a pin dropped, I bravely responded with precision and resounding voice to the tactical officer during the first annual tactical inspection competition, "SIR, I DO NOT KNOW THE DRILL, SIR!" (mind you, I got this husky, powerful voice, audible even without microphone, I wonder where it comes from!). Of course, I did  the commands "Mark Time", "Attention", "Rest" first to my Bravo Company before i dropped that asinine response in compliance to Obey-First-Before-You-Complain rule.

That made the audience burst in laughter (I don't know if it was in delight or mockery) but impressed the Inspection Team of military officers from the regional command headquarters for my courageous honesty (dang!) but unbending compliance to the rules. They stood from their seats and shook my hand commending what I did (or did not do, I supposed. but that sure was a twist.). Well, out of about eight company drills asked for, that was the only one I had no clue at all. But, I still complied... and tried.  So we still bagged the first place for the entire region then (not bad after all).The school gave me two awards at the end of the school year - Leadership Awards and Outstanding Officer Awards (that ended up well I guess).

Since then, I just go ahead and do what I believe I can do. Results vary - sometimes it happens, sometimes not. But what I noticed was I got by with a little help from people around me.... until now.

As I get used to always go for what I am passionate about (which interestingly until today), I learned the skills to assess things in a more structured manner that more things happen the way I figure them out than otherwise. Thus,  the educational franchise business I have now and the professional skills I share to the education sector as training facilitator,  college and graduate school professor, K-12 teacher, and author, are proofs that you get what you work for and still have fun. My greatest achievement though is being a mother to my two kids - challenging but fulfilling.

Right now, I don't know much about the intricacies of the techie world of web. it's like going to Las Vegas Strip for the first time - its colorful, flashy, vibrant, multiple, confusing but engaging. Everywhere you look amazes you. You don't know where to start and end. Then you find somebody who knows the place and gradually drives or walks you through (i mean, literally walks you through. fun for short walks, killer for long ones! spare me.). The beauty of a friend... a guide... a buddy.

So now, am getting into something that is totally, overwhelmingly, and tediously crazy adventure of sharing my hoard of learning tools to the world using the web (at my age... this is interesting!). Pretty much, there'll be errors along the way (that's a given, i know) but with all help available online (and a special person and the rest), I guess I'd be able to catch up.






No comments:

Post a Comment